Monday, September 27, 2010

Media Release: News media turns young people off illicit drugs

This was released today:

enews.vaada.org.au/news/2010/09/27/media-release-news-media-turns-young-people-illicit-drugs

Now I wonder what effect these oh so wonderful media reports have on the way young people perceive people who use or who have problems with drug use? And I wonder what level of drug awareness these young people have, based on such media reports? AND, I wonder how these young people will manage situations where they or their friend has taken a drug and something goes wrong? Or, how will these young people manage extended periods of drug use?

I also wonder what results like this mean when no young person in their right mind would openly respond to a researcher with "Nah. After I watched *insert media report* I thought, fuck yeah, let's go out and try that!", or "They make it look shit, but my mate who lives around the corner smokes joints every weekend and I love hanging with him". Plus, the media that is being discussed here never explores the positive effects that people attain from drugs or convey harm reduction messages - it is a no-brainer that participants are going to respond in this way.

Just some thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment